"So it's not gonna be easy! It's going to be really hard; we're gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, everyday, forever. You and me...everyday."
I love this quote! I love the book and movie which this quote is from, The Notebook. I love how Noah is honest and fighting for his love. I love how it inspires me.
Joel and I will be celebrating 10 years of marriage this June. Ten! One zero! A decade! Oh my GOODness! Our marriage has had MANY seasons in it. Some seasons where we are soaring on a love high, and not much work has to go into it. But, there have been other seasons where it isn't easy. It is hard to love. A lot of work needs to be done.
As you all know, we are coming out of the newborn season. Up to this point, we have been on survival mode. There have been maybe 2 dates the past 6 months. Yikes! I wish we had more. But, it was what it was. Both Joel and I were maxed out, and did the best we could do with the season we were in.
Juliet has been sleeping through the night for a bit, with no need of a night time feeding, so I am feeling MUCH more rested. Sooooo nice! Sleep is GOOD! Survival mode is over, it is time for Joel and I to reconnect again.
I did a marital intervention 3 weeks ago. I sat Joel down and shared from my heart how I want our marriage to be more of a priority for both of us. We brainstormed how to go about bringing some change, and decided on watching a marriage dvd series called Marriage on the Rock by Jimmy Evans. It has been very good so far! One night a week we watch a session, talk about it, and try to implement what we've learned into our daily interactions with each other. I hope to share some of what I've been learning in the weeks to come.
I'll leave you with this...
Spend at least 15 minutes a day talking to each other.
When I first heard Jimmy Evans say this, I laughed. But, as Joel and I have been doing this everyday, it is amazing how much of our conversation would be about the girls, or work, or other people and things, and not about me & him, our thoughts, feelings, etc.
Talking to each other about just us for at least 15 minutes has been a great, easy change for the good of our marriage
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I can't remember where I read about this - maybe one of the Babywise books? - but we do "couch time" at out house. Right after dinner, we sit down on the couch and talk for 10-15 minutes while the kids play. They know they need to leave us alone at that time. They play near us, but they can't ask us questions or whine :). I like it as I think it shows the kids that are putting effort into our marriage.
ReplyDelete