I've been attending a weekly prayer and book study group at church for about a year and a half now. I have really enjoyed the diversity of the group...all different ages, backgrounds, experiences, and levels of faith. But our commonality is that we have a desire to live life fully trusting on God, and allowing Him to shape us into who He created us to be.
I like the diversity and experiences shared. It has helped me to be less narrow minded. Less judgemental. My faith has been encouraged and strengthened within the walls of our meeting room. I leave with peace and hope every time. I am challenged to apply what we talk about each week to my life, not just listen. My life has been forever changed due to the people I've met, and how they've challenged me to apply my faith to EVERY aspect of my life.
Once a month, someone shares their testimony. I always enjoy hearing people's stories and learning about God's faithfulness to them through life's journey of ups and downs.
A month ago, I was asked to share mine. I only had a week's notice and I wasn't ready to give it yet. I wanted to have time to reflect upon my journey thus far, and said I'd do it next month. That was today.
It went really well! I am so glad that I did it. It helped put things in perspective when I took time to reflect on my past and the experiences that have influenced and shaped me into who I am today. I'm able to see God's hand through it all, grace and faithfulness, redemption in the broken, and hope for what is to come, knowing I'm not completed yet, and my story isn't over.
A year or so ago, I asked a lady from this group to be my mentor. She has become a dear friend with SOOOO much wisdom. When I would be griping about life's struggles with her, she told me to make a gratitude list. It helps to stop the negative cycle, and to see the positive in the midst of the negative. Giving my testimony today was like a huge, long gratitude list. My cup is overflowing with gratefulness.
The timing couldn't be better. I am 2 1/2 weeks out from my planned induction of Thumper. I have anxiety swirling about how nursing will go this time around, how I'll be able to manage everything with 2 little ones depending on me, dreading lack of sleep, and I could go on and on. But, as I've just spent a good chunk of time sharing about my life's story and the faithfulness of God, my anxiety is drifting away. I can let it all go...let God handle those details. I don't know what tomorrow brings, so I'm focusing on living in TODAY.
I encourage you to take some time and look at your journey thus far, and the faithfulness of God. I hope it overwhelms you with gratitude, encourages you to keep pressing on, and fills you with hope! Or at least, take some time to write down things that you are grateful for. It really helps place things in perspective.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Your comments make me happy! Thank you!