Thank you all for your prayers, words of encouragement, and helpful hints over my breastfeeding frustration.
I have just returned from a 2 hour consultation with a lactation lady from my hospital. It was supposed to only be an hour, so she was VERY generous with her time.
The past week and a half has been very draining emotionally and physically. I will spare you all the details, but it is getting better. Camille has been breastfeeding all her meals but one from me each day. The time she doesn't is usually because she is so hungry, she isn't patient to wait for my let down.
I have been pumping after each feeding
I am on a medication from my OB to increase milk supply
I have been taking naps
I have been drinking and eating plenty
and I have just been focusing on Camille...no house cleaning, or cooking (Thanks, Joel! :) )
Even though I have seen an increase in my milk supply, it still has been very hard on me to keep this regime. Thus seeing the lactation consultant. Camille has a great latch, and feeds well. She just wants milk when she's hungry and loses patience. We tried a "supplementer" which has a tube going from a bottle tucked in my cleavage to the side of her mouth while she is breastfeeding. This provides her more milk while she is still providing stimulation to my breast. This didn't work so well.
The lady asked some questions and it turns out I haven't done anything to decrease my milk supply. It has to do with hormones and I've always had out of wack hormones. She asked if I had to be on Clomid to conceive, I said yes. She said that there have been more studies showing that women who have fertility issues, also have struggles keeping their milk for breastfeeding. Fifty years ago there weren't breastfeeding issues like we have today, because women who couldn't conceive on their own, wouldn't have children, and then woudln't encounter breastfeeding issues. The medication I am on is helping, and she recommends I stay on it as long as I can unless any side affects form (which is depression).
Because of my struggles to get Camille to breastfeed and stay latched on, it has not been an enjoyable experience for me. So, instead of working hard at it with her, I am choosing to pump and feed her by a bottle. I then will have more time to do special bonding and not have feedings eat up all our time together.
If for some reason, my milk supply dwindles again, I have found out that we qualify for federal aide right now, even with Joel still earning a pay check. So, I know that Camille will have her needs met.
Thank you again for your expressed love during this time! I feel much better and at peace! Thank you Jesus!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am so glad you found a solution! Pumping exclusively was a great experience for me. I found that Fen was much more comfortable being left with someone else, since she was already used to a bottle. It gave me such a comfortable sense of freedom, not having to worry that I'd need to rush home and nurse her. Glad you feel at peace...YAY for lactation nurses..they are the best :).
ReplyDeleteCamille's picture is adorable! I love her eyes! I'm glad you had a good experience with the LC. You are an amazing Momma and I'm sure Camille will love the extra time cuddling and playing with you!
ReplyDelete