Sunday, November 21, 2010

Blue Moon

Once in a blue moon... is a common way of saying not very often. But what is a blue moon? I didn't know until tonight...

Tonight is a full moon. Every full moon for the past 3 years Joel and I have gone out at night to gaze up at it and share a quiet moment together...remembering, praying, wondering, side hugging...

Joel shared, "Tonight is a blue moon"

"What's a blue moon?"

"Generally, there are only three full moons in any one season. Three in summer, three in autumn, three in spring ....  This year, four full moons fall in between the September equinox and the December solstice. The third of the season’s four full moons may be called a Blue Moon, according to the old Maine Farmer’s Almanac definition. So today’s full moon is a Blue Moon. It’s the third of the season’s four full moons."

"Huh, interesting" (He's so smart...dreamy sigh)

As I think about it more, I am glad a special moon falls on this month, this week....

My son, Luke, was born on a full moon. The night I went into labor, Joel and I enjoyed a nice walk at Eagle Creek. I was not in labor yet. Had no clue I was going to be soon. We just enjoyed a nice stroll through the woods. When we were leaving, we saw a beautiful, full, HUGE, orange, moon right on the horizon. I jokingly said, "Labor is going to start tonight, look at that incredible, full moon!" That same moon lit our path from the parking lot to the hospital a handful of hours later. Ever since that night, we call  a full moon "Luke's moon."

Luke's 3rd birthday in Heaven falls on Thanksgiving this year. As a result, this Thanksgiving will be extra special and meaningful to me as I reflect on all I am grateful for and blessed with...the most important being having my son living it up in Heaven....playing ball on streets of gold, and skipping rocks of topaz, diamonds, and sapphires in the river! And I smile when I think about how God is blessing us with a Blue Moon as Luke's moon this special week.

I hope you have a chance to gaze at Luke's Blue moon tonight, and reflect upon all you have to be grateful for, too.




2 comments:

  1. I never knew that...1) about the blue moon thing, 2)that Luke was born during a full moon! I must say, what a sweet moment you shared with all of us!! Love you guys and lifting you in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful story Kelly! Thank you for sharing it with us :) On Sunday when we were getting out of the car after coming home from a party, Emie got very excited about the moon. It was the first time she said "moon" and she said it over and over. We all stopped and took in the beautiful full moon for a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy! Thank you!