I don't like the feeling of being scared.
This evening, I experienced two scary events. One that affected my daughter, and the other that affected my dog-er.
It was 5:30 and I was in the kitchen making dinner. Camille saw me leave and wanted to follow, but was stuck in a standing position. The neighbor boy I watch after school went over to Camille and took her by the hands and "helped" her walk to me. Once I saw what he was doing, I told him to stop and that I'd come pick her up. He is thoughtful, but too young to know how to handle Camille. She was crying when I picked her up, but didn't think anything of it. She cries sometimes when I leave the room. Camille stops crying when I pick her up, though, and she didn't. I held her while I did some more dinner prep and she cried on and off. I figured she was hungry and tired.
At 5:45 I saw my neighbor arrive home from work. I told the boys their mom was home and to grab their stuff. The oldest boy ran out and didn't shut the door behind him. Truffles got out. I Put Mousse in the backyard and I went outside to greet the mom with Camille. Camille stopped crying. Truffles was sniffing the grass in the front yard, and I was chatting with the mom. I heard her say, "Oh no, the front door is open. Calvin, shut the door! Don't let the dogs out." Too late, her two dogs ran out the front door and made a bee line for Truffles. Truffles ran behind me, and the two dogs were snarling, growling, and on top of Truffles bitting her neck. Camille started screaming. I yelled at the dogs, and the mom was yelling at the dogs. I can't remember what I did, but some how I got Truffles free and brought her into the house. Camille was crying very hard. Mousse was barking and jumping against the glass back door. Truffles didn't look to be injured and I let her out the back door where she ran and wrestled with Mousse. Phew. I let out a deep sigh and thanked God she wasn't injured. I cursed the neighbor dogs. I comforted Camille and told her Truffles was okay. She was still crying. The neighbor mom knocked on the door and apoligized. I lied and said it was fine. I told her Truffles wasn't hurt. She apoligized again and I lied again, then shut the door.
At 6:00 Camille was crying off and on. I finished her dinner prep and put her in her high chair. She started crying again. Then I saw it. She wasn't moving her right arm. I watched her for a few more seconds and she was flapping her left arm around while crying, but her right arm was still. My stomach sank. My cell phone started ringing. It was Joel. I told him that Camille wan't moving her arm. He told me to call his brother who is a doctor. I called our friend Liz who is a family doctor, instead. Camille was back to crying in my arms. I told Liz that Camille's arm was injured, and would she be willing to look at it before I rushed Camille to the emergency room. Liz said she'd be there in a minute. While I waited I tried to comfort Camille and prayed for God's help. I fed Camille some corn and peas and she ate them. I was encouraged that she was eating.
Liz arrived at 6:10. I told her how the neighbor boy tried to "help" Camille walk. She nodded her head and thought that was what caused Camille's injury. I held Camille while Liz poked around at her arm. She started crying again. Liz couldn't tell where the pain was coming from. I calmed Camille down and touched her shoulder. That didn't seem to bother her. I then touched her hand. Still no tears. I touched her elbow. Camille started crying. Liz thought it was nursemaid's elbow which is a fancy term for a dislocated elbow. She manuvered Camille's arm to try and get her elbow back in place, Camille cried hard in pain, and it didn't work. Liz got onto the internet to check something out. Joel walked through the door. Camille was happy to see Daddy. He got her favorite treat- sweet potato puffs- and she ate those and was happy. After doing some reading on a medical site, Liz retried setting Camille's elbow. Camille cried. I rubbed her right hand and she moved it! She then brought it up and started sucking her thumb. Poor girl couldn't suck her thumb that whole time!!!
We thanked Liz. I grabbed my kitchen scissors and cut her a bunch of my daffodils that have bloomed to give her a small thank you. She said they are very cheery, and I told her that she has made me very cheery! Joel opened up the kitchen window and held Camille out. Camille waved goodbye to Aunt Liz with her right arm! Ahhh, what a beautiful sight!
I went back inside to the kitchen, and finally let my emotions come out. No tears, but my body was shaking a bit. I was done being brave Mommy. What a scary evening. Thank you Jesus for keeping my precious ones safe!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Praise God for an observant mommy, a knowledgeable and helpful friend, and a heavenly Father who knows and loves us all. Isn't it fascinating how babies communicate?
ReplyDeletewhat a mess Kelly. I'm sorry you had such a rough night.
ReplyDeleteI was stressed out just reading that!! You know the trouble we've had with our neighbors dog (my trip to the emergency room and the other who attacked Styles). I've started walking with Emery and Shasta and had no incident but was running the other day with Styles and a friend and the neighbor's dog came running after us barking aggresively. Luckily, the owners called them off and Styles is so good he did not retaliate but I don't like feeling unsafe in my own neighborhood. Anyway, I am so thankful everyone is okay now.
ReplyDeleteSorry you had such a scary night Kelly, but I'm glad you experienced God's strength in you. I'm obsessive about nursemaids elbow - I cringe when people grab a baby by the arm. I'm so glad your friend could help so little Camille didn't have to go to the ER!
ReplyDelete